NOTE! The information for the year 2020 will be updated below in June!
The language requirement for international degree students
International degree students are required to complete the following language and communication classes:
X-yk14 English for Music Studies and Practice 1 (3 cr)
X-yk15 English for Music Studies and Practice 2 (2 cr)
X-K19 Written Communication (1 cr)
X-K11 Finnish 1 (4 cr)
B.M. in Vocal Arts also includes the following classes:
X-K23 Italian Language 1 (4 cr)
X-K24 Italian Language 2 (5 cr)
X-K25 German Language 1 (4 cr)
X-K26 German Language 2 (5 cr)
English for music studies and practice 1&2
English 1 & 2 classes involve intensive English language practice and language immersion activities with music content. Topics include, for example, introducing yourself and your major subject, musical instruments, musical eras and styles, music theory and notation terminology, music analysis and writing a résumé and biography.
Already fluent in the special English of Music?
If your English skills are excellent (Level B2 or higher) and you have extensive experience in using English in music settings, you can earn credit for English for Music Studies and Practice 1 by taking a Reading and Writing Proficiency Test (worth 2 credits) and possibly giving an Oral Proficiency Demonstration (worth 1 credit).
The written test will be held in the Auditorium of the Music Centre on Monday Aug. 26, 5.15 - 7.15 pm. The test is voluntary and there is no need to sign up - just show up with your pens or pencils. To prepare for the test, study the course handout that is available on the university intranet:
https://artsi.uniarts.fi/en/studying/studies-and-course-offerings/joint-studies→ Language Studies
àEnglish for Music Studies and Practice 1.
If you pass the test, you will earn 2 credits towards English for Music Studies and Practice 1.
To earn the third credit, you can either sign up for
a) a language proficiency demonstration to be held on Aug. 30 in the classroom N-K55 (Nervanderinkatu 13).
b) a class that we call Triple Speed, because the classroom time is only a third of a normal class.
Your English teacher will give you further instructions when she announces the results of the placement test.
Inquiries: Camilla Kurki, firstname.lastname@example.org
This class focuses on honing your academic writing skills during the third year of your studies.
Inquiries: Emmi Huttunen, email@example.com
This is a beginner’s class. No previous knowledge is needed. If you have studied Finnish before, please contact Sanna Teerenhovi about your options.
If you want to learn more, you can take three more classes at the University of the Arts:
X-K12 Finnish 2 (4 cr)
X-K13 Finnish 3 (4 cr)
X-K14 Finnish 4 (4 cr)
Inquiries: Sanna Teerenhovi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Elective Language Studies: Learn a Language with a Duo Partner
If you’re into independent and effective language learning, you can improve your current second language skills or learn the basics of a new language by signing up for the Duo Second Language Program to earn 1 or 2 credits.
Inquiries: Suvi Huuhtanen, email@example.com
Further Information on Language and Communication Studies
is available on the university intranet: For Students / Studies and course offerings / Language studies and joint studies.
Language and Communication Teachers and Staff
- Sarka Hantula (on maternity leave from April 2019) / English (Sibelius Academy and Theatre Academy)
- Emmi Huttunen (on maternity leave until August 2019) / English, Swedish
- Camilla Kurki, tel. +358 50 5746 504 / English, Swedish
- Laura Lehtinen, tel. +358 50 4141 536 / Communication Studies in Finnish, Finnish as a Second Language (S2)
- Sanna Teerenhovi, tel. +358 50 5756 353 / Finnish as a Second Language (S2), Finnish as the Second Domestic Language, Communication Studies in Finnish
- Rakel Tikkanen, tel. +358 50 3877 305 / Swedish, Communication studies in Swedish
- Suvi Huuhtanen, tel. +358 50 4720 849 / Coordinating Language and Communication Studies, Accreditation of Prior Language Learning
- Email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you have questions about language or communication studies and don't know who to ask? Contact email@example.com.